Saturday, October 29, 2011

Religion - to psychic or not

Interesting how the Bible is interpreted. So my niece asks me for the name of a psychic. I give her one. Then I share with another friend that I did that and the debate began.

"You can't do that. It's against what the Bible teaches!", she asserts. I am confounded. "How is it against God?", I ask. "It's all throughout the Bible about false prophets and divination.", she replies.

Doubt sets in. My father always said that the Bible is a book that man is interpreting and my interpretation is just as valid as another man. That's why I read/study and search for answers.

I think some things are interpreted to suit whatever teachings a particular church has or sometimes are interpreted out of fear. Fear of things they cannot explain logically or of things they don't understand.

Do I understand why my friend sees and hears dead people? No I don't.
Do I think she is crazy?  No. I don't.
Do I think she is faking?  No I don't.
Do I think she sees/hears dead people? I think she does.

She gets messages from them and passes them along. Believe it or not!

Another friend lights incense and candles, calms her mind and opens herself up to hear. Another friend lights candles and reads tarot cards.

I consider the gifts that my friends have as being from God. They do not prophesy about God, they prophesy about me. About what might happen in my future. Not one psychic has ever tried to convert me to follow another god or believe anything else.

So I opened my Bible, looked under topical "curiosity", and found this:
'"If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a miraculous sign or wonder, and if the sign or wonder of which he has spoken takes place, AND he says "Let us now follow other Gods (gods you have not known) and let us worship them" you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer."' Deuteronomy 13:1-3

No psychic I've ever been to has ever told me or led me to believe in another god. So someone out there is interpreting that if they can tell the future they are evil. Their messages are evil.  Really?

Well according to the Bible. Yes.

"I will set my face against the person who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute himself by following them, and will cut them off from his people."  "A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death. You are to stone them, their blood will be on their own heads." Leviticus 20: 6, 27


I've found my answer and once again I don't like it. I'm reminded about the last time I heard something in a sermon that did not sit well with my beliefs. I told God that I needed an answer and not "because I said so" wouldn't suffice.


A few days later as I was walking the dogs, talking to God, and crying about this, I heard God say to me, "I never said you would like it."


Well just so you know Lord, I don't like this one either.  I'm adding it to my list of questions when I see you.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't ever tried to convert you? Weird I thought for sure I extended a invitation to the mother ship at the very least - told you to bring your aluminum foil hat - told you to wait for them to beam you up? People are funny about psychics. Being psychic is not about being religious or not being religious. It is about being connected.

    Keep in mind Renee that in Leviticus it also calls women to be removed from the tribe during their time of the month, asks people to only eat clean meats and fish, and a number of other things that no one else practices anymore. The law was a political thing during the time. There were those within Judaism that were prophets. You were called to follow those, but not the ones who weren't inside of your religion. I am just saying. Moses burning bush...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had ANY psychic try to convert me. I agree with your comment about it's not about religion, it is about being connected. I am in a religious conversation right now and not being facile in that I am like a sponge, soaking up knowledge and choosing. I think being connected is a gift. It's definitely been an interesting conversation, especially to see where people put their stick in the sand. Thanks for commenting. I always appreciate your view. Love you.

    ReplyDelete