Monday, October 17, 2011

Numbing out and nails.

Escaping from what? My thoughts? My fears? I think I've just held on for long enough and need a break. A break from all that crap that runs around in my mind.  Actually there isn't much running about in my mind, right now.

I think all the food has finally done the trick. The banana this morning, then two pieces of cinnamon toast, then the leftover potato chips, about a dozen chocolate chip cookies, and a half gallon of butter pecan ice cream. Then I guzzled tonic water -- love the bitter taste.

I'm in Salt Lake City house sitting for some friends who are in Hawaii. They have two sweet dogs -- Kelly and Max. They also have two cats -- Grady and Micki Blue Eyes. All animals seem to be adjusting to their parents being gone.

It's a beautiful day outside. Bright blue, 50 degrees, sun shining. Dogs are lounging on the lawn. Kitty cats are sleeping in their beds. I'm blogging. I did do my nails -- right after I chewed them off. They are now a uniform shape and have a coat of clear polish. They'll grow out nicely. Wonder what I was nervous about when I chewed them off?

Speaking of nails, yesterday I gave a good friend a pedicure. Then his Mother exhibited signs of jealousy (his interpretation). Interesting familial relationships. We read people we know like books. The problem with books (I adore them by the way) is that they are open to interpretation and imagination. We imagine the words and add to them by associating our memories with them. She's 84 and forgetful. Yesterday she exhibited a willful young side. I offered to give her a pedicure as well. Not so surprisingly her mood shifted.

I used to give my mother manicures and pedicures. Older people don't take good care of their feet or skin. I think it's because they can't see that well or reach their feet. It's amazing what a little pampering will do for one's mood. She was exhilarated afterward. Her nails were clipped and shaped. Lotion was massaged into her feet and hands. An hour and a half of visiting and she felt special.

I like making people feel special. It's easy when you pay attention. Didn't cost anything but time.


1 comment:

  1. Your words touch me. You have a gift...many gifts. You give of yourself. And this entry has made me cry.

    One of the last things I was ever able to do for my mother was bathe her. Some would say that was a gift I gave to her. But she gave ME the gift...

    She needed me.

    As much as it hurts to feel, tonight I will remember that intimate moment we shared, when she allowed herself to be vulnerable...with me.

    Thank you, Renee.

    ReplyDelete