Friday, October 28, 2011

It's the small things...

So here I am.  Dogs at my feet. Potato soup simmering. It's cold outside. Snow has melted from the trees and streets, yet lingers on the lawns like slow release water. Mother Earth has to be happy with a good gentle soaking. Preparing for the long winter ahead.

I am present to the small things.

Like what a difference a ham bone makes in the soup. How leeks add just a hint of mellow onion. That a bay leaf rounds it out. Of course chunks of ham don't hurt either.

Present to how my house feels clean if my bed is made and the sink is empty of dirty dishes.

How I feel organized when I see my towels neatly folded/stacked in the linen closet -- all the folds facing the same direction.

How the light filtering through the leaves makes me smile. Bags of leaves leaning against the back fence waiting to be composted remind me of my garden and how happy I am to plant things and watch them grow. Finding a year end deal on pear trees ($5 each), planting/watering/watching them take hold makes a broad satisfied grin smear across my face.

Or how just a little Baileys in my coffee makes it seem all the more special. Making my own Baileys, loading up pint jars, putting a ribbon with a personal note on each jar, and anticipating the look in people's eye when they get a coveted jar warms me.

Finding the perfect under $10 gift for a family member, secret sister, or friend. Baking my shortbread cookies, drizzling them with mint chocolate, and sprinkling them with chopped walnuts. Packaging them in clear cellophane bags, tying them up with ribbon, and hot gluing an acorn to each is so satisfying.

Writing a letter on pretty paper. Noticing how the ink glides across the page.  Sharing my thoughts with my friends. Getting a card or letter in the mail -- pure heaven.

Yes it's the small things. How each time I pass Jack (my cattle dog/lab mix) he licks my foot. It's like he's saying I love you each time I pass and, even though I don't particularly like it, I am reminded of his unconditional love.

How each time we go to bed, my hubby brings me a fresh glass of water. Or how when I pass him, he reaches for me and demands a hug. Yes, it's the small things that make a big life!

No comments:

Post a Comment