Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Art of Letting Go

Letting go. Why is it so hard sometimes? I've been thinking about letting this house go. Alot! It is clearly the choice I am making. It is clearly a good move.

Then why today when the sun was filtering through the leaves and the deck was looking like it belonged in Good Housekeeping was I second guessing the choice to sell?

So many memories have been born in this house. I remember dreaming of, drawing, measuring, and planning that deck for instance. Attending a deck building class at a local lumber yard. Going through pages of graph paper, pencils, and erasers. Measuring the width of potential furniture. Preparing a timeline. Allocating $50 a paycheck to purchase the needed lumber, nails, brackets, cement until I had all the supplies. Tearing down the small 6x3 landing the builders called a deck. Thinking about the consequences of damaging the house when I screwed the first lag bolt into the siding.

The blisters digging the post holes, drilling 8 holes per board, screwing in hundreds of screws, lovingly sanding and staining each 2x6. How smooth the wood was. How I watched the $20 tree grow into the 40 foot behemoth it is today. It's strong branches and leaves provide privacy and shade to that deck now.

Now it is time for another family to treasure the cool breezes that blow through the leaves, to barbeque their hamburgers, have friends and family over for celebrations. Time for another couple to sit in the quiet of the night watching the stars.

May the next family make memories they treasure for years to come, for I am ready to build my next dream.


No comments:

Post a Comment