Wednesday, August 11, 2010

On being in Spokane

Well it'll be a month tomorrow since we moved from Denver to Spokane. Much has happened in the interim. It is beautiful here. Big open blue sky that goes for miles and miles. No mountains breaking up the horizon. Spokane's sky occurs as vast and endless. The weather has been ideal. Hot, but not too hot. Cool in the mornings. Perfect 70s in the evenings. Two cloudy days which disappeared by noon.

Fairchild AFB has been here for awhile. Huge trees line the roads, well manicured lawns and open spaces. Everything is taken care of and clean. Our home on base has been remodeled. We are one of the lucky families. Our two bedroom has new hardwood floors in the main areas, new carpet in the bedrooms, and new tile in the kitchen and bath. All new appliances. A full basement. One car garage. Central air. Covered patio in back. I am present to how blessed we are. Stacy and I created our next home in our minds...

Ranch style, open floor plan with at least two bedrooms (1 for us and 1 for an office), room to store our things (full basement), hardwood floors, small backyard to relax in with minimal grass for the dogs to enjoy, and newer interior. Simpler, cleaner, less maintenance!

God provided exactly what we asked for and more. We knew that in military housing that privacy was at a minimum. Our home is at the end of the block (on a corner) that backs up to a park. My view out the office window is of a jungle gym (rarely used), green grass expanse, large column poplars, with maples in the distance, the perimeter road with green expanse after that. Beautiful.

My honey and I have been slowly unpacking boxes, getting rooms organized, and choosing which wall to hang things on. Some people call it nesting. When we got married, Stacy moved into my home. Now we have our home. While we will be in this particular house for only a year, it has been fun exploring our preferences together.

Finding out that he REALLY doesn't like my copper whale (which also happens to be one of my favorite pieces). It's been educational watching him test the waters with what he can say, how he can say it, and not hurt my feelings. It's almost like he's never had the freedom of spoken opinion before. I enjoy providing him a safe space to be him. Express his feelings and preferences. What works for both of us. (We found a spot for the whale that pleases both of us. Yeah us!)

Our home is coming together. Seemingly small things like, where to put the towels, which drawer will hold the silverware, cereal top shelf or bottom, curtains or blinds, oatmeal or eggs for breakfast. A myriad of small choices that comprise this life we have. Choices we make together that strengthen our bond. Each choice a thread. I just got present to that I am creating the equivalent of a 600 thread count sheet. Soft, strong, and comforting.

I love this life that I have. Thank you God for bringing Stacy to me, having him choose me, being all that I desire and need -- strong, compassionate, loyal, funny. Being loved unconditionally is such a delicious treat. Being trusted with his heart is a task that I treasure. I am honored to be his wife and his partner.

2 comments:

  1. Yay Renee. I love Spokane. Lori from Denver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Renee.. I just discovered the news about your mom, from seeing your other post. Sorry for her passing. I know she is in peace. Denise

    ReplyDelete